05/20/2013 to 05/27/2013
Canals of France Adventure
May 20 – 27, 2013
Did you know that canals crisscross Europe? You can cruise a canal boat on rivers through towns, locks, woods and dale, from the Med to the North Sea. Tania Aebi and I have chosen Burgundy France for this canal boat Adventure. Tania’s Euro canal boat experience has been key in the planning. And her mastery of French will not go to waste.
This just in, Zuzana Prochazka will be skippering our third boat. We are very excited to have her. This is an all-star cast of skippers (if you don’t count me .
The Franche Comté region borders Switzerland and shares much of its architecture, cuisine, and culture with its neighbor. Between the Vosges range of mountains to the north and the Jura (Gaulish word meaning ‘forest’) range to the south, the landscape consists of rolling fields, dense pine forest and ramparts like mountains. The Doubs valley has timbered houses perched on stilts in the river, gorges and waterfalls and is dotted with tiny villages, each with a domed belfry decorated with mosaic of tiles or slates or beaten from metal. The lakes are perfect for swimming in the warmer months.
Your Options … Couple, own cabin – $3400 Single, own cabin – $2900 Single, shared cabin – $1900
Discount for Founders and Charter members. Click the button below to reserve your space now.
This canal Adventure is in the Franche Compte/Doubs region, east-central France. The starting town is Dole, on May 20, and we will be heading one way from there to Port sur Saone. Tania and I are flying into Geneva – GVA and taking a round trip TGV train to Dole. We board the boats after 4pm. When we get off the boats in Port Sur Saone, 9am on May 27, we will find our way back to Dole. The TGV also goes direct to Dole from Paris, if you prefer.
Franche Comté / Doubs : DOLE
The base at Dole, once the ancient capital of the Comté region, is well known as the doorway to the Jura and birthplace of Pasteur. The region is blessed with one of the most beautiful network of waterways providing a large choice of cruising options.
Head from Dole along the Canal du Rhône au Rhin (also known as The Doubs) to Besançon with the citadel of Vauban and Baume les Dames. Charming Comtois villages and market towns and beautiful fauna and flora surround you in the deep valleys surrounding the river.
The best bits : A crossroads of rivers for the widest choice of cruising routes Delicious local cheeses and wines to try and buy A variety of picturesque scenery to cruise through
Please note: we recommend that you’ve had some previous boating experience if cruising on The Doubs
Nicols 1170 …
Nicols 1010 …
More info: This is an Adventure shared. To the extent that you are able; you help with helming, navigation, lines, fenders, , etc. ‘And if you don’t cook, you ought’ be good at dishes.’
- Price includes your bunk or cabin on the yacht and partial provisioning – food for simple breakfasts and lunches, and a couple dinners. We will be cruising an area that hosts some of the finest food on the planet. You will always have the option to head ashore to sample the local flavor.
- Your travel is extra. We publish tips and pass on group rates where we get them. Fly in airport codes are Geneva GVA & Paris has two CDG & ORY. Train goes to our starting base at Dole. More info later.
- We like to do a get together on the night before our adventure. For those who would like to participate and get the added benefit of time acclimation, do fly in the day before. More info and hotel suggestions to come.
- No smoking onboard boats.
- Cabins booked first come, first served.
- Balance due 45 days prior to cruise. 100% refund within 7 days of purchase unless within 60 days of sail. Refund also given if another party can be found to fill the spot.
- $100 off for anyone who has ever done a trip with us (AV, Share the Sail, Lats & Atts).
We are looking forward to exploring the Canals of France with you!
Captain Woody & Tania Aebi
Our Canal Partner …